Backyard GardenShare is a completely volunteer supported nonprofit organization, driven solely by our passion to the fight hunger in our community with the nutritious surplus wasting in our gardens.
In Utah, at least 1 in 6 children doesn’t know where their next meal is coming from. Feeding America calculates that if we rescue and share only 30% of the food wasted, we could completely eliminate hunger.
Our volunteers have collected and shared 34,000 lbs of produce in our first two years of operation, providing $60,000 worth of food for 58,000 meals for free because they were willing to donate a very small amount of time every week.
Harvest Neighbor Surplus
Many gardeners in our community have age related restrictions, health challenges or vacation schedules that keep them from rescuing their surplus fruit and vegetables when they’re ripe. Neighbors, youth groups, scout troops, service clubs, and others can assist in a one-time rescue, which often nets a hundred pounds or more of sharable produce.
Donate Other Services + Skills
If you’re willing to donate your services and share expertise to help support Backyard GardenShare, we’d love to work with you.
- Offer your marketing/PR, social media, creative or other professional skills
- Become a community ambassador and use your social media presence to promote participation
- Locate new distribution sites in your area
- Find others in your circle who may be interested in participating
- Deliver fliers in your neighborhood
Please contact us if you're interested in volunteering!